The feeling of heaviness inhibits; the feeling of lightness confers great freedom… to make the changes and transformations that are indispensable to life.*
Here are a few things I’ve done at different times in my life to create the quality of lightness:
1. Emotional cleansing – you know those occasions when you bare your heart to a compassionate other and it enables you let go of guilt, negativity, judgment, righteousness and all those things that were weighing you down.
2. Releasing tension – for instance, the times when you’ve surrendered to a good massage and you arise from the table with the feeling of having been given a new body, a fresh start.
3. Completion – Finishing an exam or a to-do list, graduating from school, healing a relationship.
4. Fasting, doing a silent retreat, sitting in pranayama.
5. Dancing, singing, yoga-ing, making love… until you lose yourself.
6. Doing random acts of kindness, giving generously, risking, loving unconditionally.
What are the things that foster a feeling of lightness for you?
kaya-kasayoh sambandha-samyamat-laghu-tula-samapatteh ca-akasa-gamanam
Mastering the relationship between the body and ether, then meditating on the lightness of cotton, brings displacement in space.*
*The Essence of Yoga – Reflections on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Bernard Bouanchaud.